Urad dal - 1 cup
Green chillies - 3 finely chopped
Small onion - 15 finely chopped
Curry leaves - finely chopped
Jeera - 1/2 tsp crushed
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - as much less as possible
Hing - a pinch
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour at least. Drain water.
- Grind it to a fluffy texture sprinkling water now and then. Dont add much water. Once the batter is ready, add chopped onions, jeera, pepper, curry leaves, chillies and required salt to the batter, mix well and keep aside.
- The batter should be fluffy by mixing well to get more aeration, this leads the vada to more crunchy.
- Heat oil in a pan. Take a polythene sheet slightly greased with a drop of oil. Wet your right hand, then make a small ball out of the batter and pat it on the sheet. Now make a hole in the middle with wet finger and carefully transfer it to the pan.
- Fry the vada in medium flame, turn over to other side once it becomes firm. Take out and drain it in a tissue once it becomes golden brown on both sides.
- You can have it with coconut chutney.